Monday, February 11, 2008

R.I.P. Polaroid




So, Saturday I found out that Polaroid, the instant film company has quit making their products. I am sure that most of you know Polaroid for the big clunky cameras. Those ruled! However, there was a lot more to the company. We (formerly - pre-digital) medium and large format, or 4x5 users knew it as an easy way to get a preview for how our film would turn out. It was spendy, messy and likely toxic, but we loved it. I have warmed hundreds if not thousands of polaroids under my arm pits. Sometimes, when working on fashion sets, I'd have two under each arm ( to speed up the processing of the chemicals). And to dispell a myth, shaking them did not speed or help the process at all.

Polaroids had a distinct smell. A mild chemical smell, that I have to admit that I loved. I became quite fond of it. I've said too much...

So, here's to Polaroid. An american, photographic icon. So long old friend. And to my artist friends who still use and rely on Polaroid, I am sorry for your loss...

*I'll scan a few and post them here when I return home.

No comments: