Friday, August 29, 2008

Cycling Paradise?




This is a first. I may have never linked the word "Paradise" to a conversation about Wisconsin. And to be truthful, it really is not paradise - because there is no such thing. But, the Trempealeau County area of Wisconsin is a mighty fine place to be a road biker. This Spring, Stephen Regenold, my dynamic adventure journalist partner and I rode in the area for two days. I had heard the hype and was expecting it to be overstated, but what I found was truly special. The area combines a seemingly endless web of backcountry farm roads with the (almost complete) lack of motorist traffic. To some cyclists that might just equate to cycling paradise - especially if that cyclist lives and rides in the Minneapolis area like I do. Potholes, trucks, glass, traffic lights, people in a rush - all these things are absent in paradise, er, I mean Trempealeau.

Go read the full article and maybe try to squeeze in a fall weekend in Trempealeau County, Wisconsin. You'll thank me.

NY Times Story

1 comment:

paul said...

Paradisio ? oh there is no doubt ! .. come along with me and a couple of close friends around the first week of May next year: a morning ride in sw cheeseland followed by lunch at the bar (wisco has the best bars) and then fly fish the holes we used to visit back in the day, before married with kids. Paradise ? Oh yes, No doubt. And on my secret list of must do's for next year: sneak on a Flanders Wisco ride. or three.