Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Ely, MN - the Boundary Waters Canoe Area




I've wanted to go to Ely, MN since I was 18 years old- long before I wanted to be a photographer. I had read the article on Jim Brandenburg's photo project where he took one photo a day for a period of (I believe) 80 days. They images were fantastic, and I developed a new idea of what great outdoor/nature images should look like. This far away (I was in N.C.) place called Ely fascinated me.

Fast forward a bit to this summer when I got the call to visit Ely, MN and photograph it for a section that the New York Times calls " Havens". Havens is essentially a post card look at a town, highlighting its best features and characteristics. I spent two days climbing bluffs, riding in motorboats, etc to get the shots I needed. I got a lot of nice images. It is a beautiful community. In the end the Times ran one image. This is the whole reason I started this blog was to show some of the images that never get published. So here are a few from that trip that have never made it off my computer until now.

Here's the accompanying article by Greg Breining if you'd like to read about the place.

No comments: