Friday, December 19, 2008

Surfing On a Lake in December


The thought of it is ridiculous. I don't even like winter. For me winter sports are a necessary evil. The alternative is rotting inside the house, my arms and legs suffering atrophy. Winter sports involving icy water are particularly repulsive to me. However, I have loved surfing ever since I learned how to in my early teen years. I've found that a lot of people don't "get" surfing, but I cannot think of too many things I'd rather do. But then I am used to warmer climes, sunshine and sunscreen - not this masochistic freeze-fest.

I've been assigned to shoot this sport for the last 3 years and finally my calendar and the conditions meshed, so I headed to Northern Minnesota to shoot. As we got in view of the lake I could see huge rollers crashing into the shoreline. I began getting pretty excited. I'm not embarrassed to say that I began beeping my horn and pumping my fists. In surfer vernacular, I was "stoked"!

I was offered the necessary equipment to try this sport for myself. But... my desire to shoot and do the job well combined with the fear of what -6 (that's a minus in front of the six) would feel like outside of my cozy 7 layers of clothing kept me from getting into the water. I'm only a little ashamed. I wish it had been 30 degrees. I could handle that. So for now my dream of riding a freshwater wave remains unfulfilled.

I'll post images and a link to the story when it runs. Till then, stay warm and out of the water- unless you have a 6mm wetsuit and brass b@lls.

No comments: