Thursday, June 5, 2008

History being made



Today is just another day for me. I am working from home, doing little chores and emailing clients - nothing out of the ordinary. But I am keenly aware that something big is happening. Hillary Clinton, the first woman with a decent chance at US presidency has thrown in the towel. The fact that she made it this far is a victory for equal rights in and of itself. The fact that she lost the nomination to a black man is even more impressive.

I do not consider myself a racist and I believe that the issue is in fact a non-issue. Though to many black Americans, racism is still alive and well. I am a little shocked at how bad some people think it is, because I do not see it in my community. I have a lot of respect for the way Barack Obama is helping to dissolve the problem of racism. Whether or not he gets the job, he has put a stake in the heart of the problem and I think that great things lie ahead for our nation. Black America is so proud right now - as they should be. I feel that Barack has earned his way to the nomination and not been handed a favor. He beat a very worthy opponent this week.

We are witnessing history right now. We've seen men on the moon, walls fall in Russia, and Sadaam be brought to justice. This is one of those moments. Writer, Christina Cappechi and I talked to people on the street Tuesday evening and it was amazing to hear the excitement of the black community in St. Paul. What was also exciting was the amount of support that the average white person has for Barack. I take great pleasure in seeing the race of this man take a back seat to his vision.

Go read the article in the NY Times today (link below) and look at the face of Wilhelmina Brown. Get swept up in the change that is happening right now. It is not dependent on Obama winning the Presidency. He has won something potentially bigger already.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/05/us/politics/05race.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

No comments: