Friday, January 16, 2009

Surfing Lake Superior





I shot this assignment in negative 6 degree weather, which seemed insanely cold at the time. This weeks negative 20's and 30's have given me a new perspective on cold and an increased desire to take my profession to a warmer climate. Anyway...

Today the NY Times ran the story Stephen Regenold and I did on Surfing Lake Superior. I have to say that this assignment was the most fun I've had in quite a while. I love surfing. To see surfing at all, let alone on a lake (!) was really pretty cool.

Do yourself a favor and go read the article. Great writing. I think my images held their own too... Make sure you view the slideshow, as it really gives you a better idea of what we saw. I think there are 8 more images in the slideshow.

Enjoy.

NY Times Article

2 comments:

MDeering said...

Hello TC!
I was visting your blog and when I saw your photos of the surfers at Lake Superior I couldn't help but laugh. Last winter my husband and I visted Lutsen on a blustery and blizzardy weekend and we, too, encountered surfers. The whole concept is mind blowing to me. They were keeping "warm" by a meager fire. What a complete trip!
Great photos!
Michelle Deering

pk said...

TC...I am loving the sweet Superior sets...not enjoying the ice on the trees though...reminds me of the winters in Ocean City, MD or the break at Indian River, DE...maybe I'm just getting old and lost a little core...maybe it's wisdom...i dunno but I love the pics