Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Is this a sign?


So, I took 4 days off of work to go on a turkey hunting this month. I awoke early, well before the sun was up, and hiked into the valleys and ridges of southeastern Minnesota. I was wearing camoflage from head to toe, and carrying a 12ga shotgun. I looked pretty official. Truth is, I am not so official. I have taken on a quest to kill and eat a wild animal to see if I can truly deal with the realities of what it means to be a carnivore.

You see, the meat we eat is almost always prepackaged in a bloodless styro-foam tray, or maybe it comes already cooked. It looks nothing like the animal is was pulled from. So, I am seeing if I have what it takes to do the "dirty work". If not, then I think it is hypocritical to eat meat. I like meat, so I am not wanting to give it up, and have no real intention to. I just want to prove to myself that I can do it.

So, I've entered the woods for 2 seasons now, hunting both turkey and deer. So far nature is kicking my butt. No creatures have fallen under my hand.

However,while hiking those bluffs this year I did stumble across another of natures bounty. The illusive morel mushroom. I in fact stumbled across several. Now, I am not sure what to do to them to transform them into the delicacy they are rumored to be, but I will certainly find out. For now they are dried in a canning jar. If any of you have a great recipe for them, drop me a note.

Here is an image of the ones I found. So far, it seems that perhaps all the woods wants me to have is plant life. I'm no quitter though. Watch yer back wildlife!

3 comments:

Pilgrim said...

Here-here, to your observations about being removed from the slaughter, and to your quest to "rise, kill, and eat."

Morel hunting is a Missourah pastime. I'll talk to some people 'round here and see if I can find any good recipes for you.

Pilgrim said...

From a friend:

Soak them in water with a dash of salt added. This will cause all of the bugs that are hiding in the crevices to come out and die. Soak them for maybe a half hour. We usually slice them (from top to bottom) in half and then slice the halves in half, again from top to bottom. We then dip them in an egg/milk mixture and then toss them in flour to coat them and then fry them in a skillet, in butter, on medium to medium high heat. Cook to golden-brown...drain on a paper towel and salt them to taste! They are delicious!!

T.C. said...

cool! Thanks, Pilgrim friend!