Friday, April 3, 2009

Hiking South Dakota: Harney Peak



Every time I ask people if they have heard of Harney Peak, nobody has. I certainly never had, but having hiked it, I try to preach it to people. If you fancy yourself a hiker and hike for the sake of seeing a beautiful place, then Harney Peak should be on your shortlist. It's in an area that is better known for Mt. Rushmore and Custer State Park, so I think that explains why few know about it. The area is swarmed with families in campers pointing at mountain goats and bison from their air conditioned perches. That tends to repel the outdoorsy folks. The hike is not for the weak, but you do not need to be an adventure racer either. Just take water and snacks, and give yourself enough time. Even though I have climbed the trail, I already want to go back.

Go read the Article and watch the Slideshow and see if you agree that this is a place worth visiting.

No comments: