Friday, April 17, 2009

The Ragnarok 105 race

Tomorrow I am leaving my home at 5:00am in order to get to Redwing, MN in time for the start of the Ragnarok 105. It is not a very conventional race. It is as much an adventure race as a bicycle race. Riders must bring enough water and food for the duration of the race and cannot accept outside support in any way. It follows as many gravel roads (especially hilly ones) as the race directors could find. So, it is neither a road race, nor a mtn bike race. Racers are given "tulip" notes - a sort of simplified map to follow, and all of us are really hoping not to get off course. Every mile you ride in the wrong direction must be retraced. Add that to the 105 miles of normal race course and you get a REALLY long ride. Last years winners finished in a little over 8 hours. I hope to finish within 10. I am hopefully not as slow as that goal suggests, but am riding a single-speed bike and will cover ground a little slower than those with a full set of gears. Think - Tortoise and hare.

I am going to carry a small camera and hopefully get a few shots of the race course. It should be beautiful! Southern, river valley Minnesota is easy on the eyes. Lake City is like a little paradise tucked away in the hills. I just hope that the blinding pain will subside long enough for me to take a few images. I will post whatever I end up with sometime later this week.

To learn more about the "Race", click here.

1 comment:

Pilgrim said...

Good luck!

I've been known to utilize a simplified map called "TULIP" too. :-)